Thursday, December 27, 2012

I wrote most of this last week. Here you go.

     I really like this airport. How many times has that unexpected statement been made? Not many, I'd bet. But I really do enjoy sitting here. It's Toronto's city airport, on a quaint island on Lake Ontario. (I use the word quaint rather loosely, as I'm surrounded by brushed steel and Ikea-esque lighting, but this is still more homey than Pearson.) They even feed us here. There's a little alcove with tea and biscuits and cans of pop and you can just grab some food if you're feeling at all peckish.

     It isn't really the free food or the comfortable chairs or the mod lighting arrangements which makes me enjoy sitting and waiting for a flight. Not even the wi-fi, believe it or not. The reason I'm enjoying myself is that for the first time in way too long, I can breathe. For the first time in far too long, the constant worrying about my  grade point average and volunteer jobs and that e-mail I still haven't replied to - there is ALWAYS an e-mail I still need to reply to - is ebbing away. For the first time in far too long, I'm letting myself sit down in front of my much-loved Thinkpad and write without any particular goal in mind.

       I know that it won't last very long, because tomorrow I will be trying to hold off a panic attack as I am thrusted into a room with 900 people I do not know. And I know that I still do have to reply to that e-mail and that my GPA needs to be at least three percent higher and that I really should practice transposing guitar songs to the key of G. But that does not need to matter right now.

     I have herbal tea and a little packet of shortbread cookies whose caloric value will hopefully be forgotten as soon as possible. I have fingers poised on home row and a mind attuned to sentence structure and another seventeen minutes until my flight begins to board. I'm letting myself enjoy creating the words weaved together by my not-quite-talented mind.


I've missed this.


***********************************************************
 I think I've just had the best week of my life. It was indeed as terrifying as I thought it would be when I wrote the above post, but that dissipated.
     I have met some of the coolest people I've ever encountered over the last 7 days, and Boston is a pretty awesome city.  We had some AMAZING guest speakers and I started to figure a lot of stuff out about my religious beliefs. I bought Portal 2 socks at this fantastic store as well as a gift for my brother and for my best friend. =D
A nice pair of legs wearing the socks. (the legs were not included in my purchase.)


  I will try to make my posting schedule better in the future, but no guarantees. I have life jumping at me in all directions and have work to do to climb on top of the pile of responsibility monsters. I am starting to make my way through followers' posts as well.

<3
Gabi


P.S. ikissedaboy

3 comments:

  1. I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE.
    I KNOW YOU GABI, DON'T DO THIS TO ME!
    And I do want to hear more about your trip, it sounds very interesting.
    BUT YOU BETTER FOLLOW UP ON THAT LAST LINE OR I WILL BE GETTING ON YOUR CASE IN THE BIGGEST WAY MISSY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of airports myself. I really like people-watching while I'm in them. Probably because airports act as hubs and you can see people from other countries and continents, all walking through one small (relatively, I guess) place.

    I like all the duty free shops as well, and shopping around seeing what's to be had. My favourite airport is probably Changi Airport in Singapore. That place is massive. It has three terminals, with railcars shuttling people between them. Also, a TON of stores. I've been at that airport a heap of times too, it's always a stopping place between here and Sri Lanka, so I frequent that place, I guess you could say.

    Also, it's good you got some breathing space. I can still remember the stress of exams and subject grades all too well. It sucks when they all seem to bear down on you at the same time and you feel that you can't get a moment to yourself. Good to hear you had a nice little break.

    PS: I didn't check this comment for spelling and grammar errors cos I'm feeling real lazy. Judge me, whatever man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah! Cliffhanger right at the end there!

    Also, I hope one day I may truthfully and un-sarcastically say that first sentence. Hartsfield-Jackson is not too interesting.

    I can't tell you how many times I've calculated my GPA. It is very nice to not have to worry about that magical number that determines my future.

    Also, that's a rip-off. I'd go back there and demand those legs.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me feel all warm and fuzzy, and I'm very interested in what you say. :D